Review a dietary supplement, FDA medication, or Infomercial focusing on weight loss or nutrition-related products. You can choose a supplement that you already have and use, you can obtain a new supplement you are interested in learning more about, or you can find one online to review- as long as the full label for the supplement is visible.
Differentiate research from the manufacturer, company, and peer-reviewed research, comparing and contrasting the potential benefits and harmful side effects. Submit a 3-5 page paper outlining the information below. (25 points)
You will also prepare a PowerPoint presentation (slides and summary – no voiceover needed). Compose a 7-10 slide PowerPoint presentation outlining a summary of your findings from the Product Assessment assignment. This PowerPoint presentation must be uploaded to DocSharing for other students to view. Utilize the Summary section to include additional information, if necessary. (15 pts)
Include in your Product Assessment Paper: (25 points)
- Thesis: your original thoughts regarding the assessment of the product. (2 points)
- Introduction to the topic of choice (one paragraph). (2 points)
- Answer all questions pertaining to the Product Assessment below. (10 points)
- Summary of overall research, quality, and potential recommendations you would (or would not) make regarding this product. (3 points)
- Reference page (include at least 2 references from peer-reviewed journals); exclusive of 3-5 page paper requirement. (2 points)
- Picture or image of product. (2 points)
- Grammar, structure, effort, overall professionalism of paper. (4 points)
The objectives of the review will be to:
- Identify the primary active ingredients and estimated amounts of each ingredient in one serving.
- Recognize and report the target audience of the supplement.
- List any health or structure/function claims made on the label.
- Look at the evidence behind the validity of the claims- especially as it relates to the target audience and the amount contained in one serving of your supplement.
- Address any potential risks of any of the ingredients.
- Is the supplement (or any ingredients in your supplement) part of the “Dirty Dozen”?
- List at least 1 other supplement with similar ingredients, claims, and target audience.
- When looking at the evidence behind the validity of the claim, make sure to include at least 3 peer-reviewed references. If no peer-reviewed references are available, discuss your thoughts on why.
In the submission of your report, include a printed image of the key components of the supplement/product label (if not online, you can take a photo of various angles of the supplement and include in your paper as a Supplement). In your review, make sure to address each of the objectives above.
Helpful references for learning more about supplements
- The Office of Dietary Supplements
- Dietary Supplement Fact Sheets
- National Center for Complimentary and Alternative Medicine
Product Assessment PowerPoint Presentation (15 points)
For this portion of your assignment, you will develop a 7-10 slide PowerPoint presentation outlining a summary of your findings from the Product Assessment assignment. Be sure to include pertinent talking points so other classmates can understand the information you have gathered.
- 7-10 slide PowerPoint presentation
- Include name of presenters, course, and title of product on slide #1
- Include key talking points of product
- Identify product
- picture of product
- target audience
- who product is marketed to
- health or structure/function claims
- evidence behind product
- potential risks of product
- any other pertinent information you feel the reader might want to know
- This list is not all-inclusive*
- Identify product
- Include additional information in the Notes section, if necessary (to cut down on wordy slides)<\li>